Wednesday, October 20, 2010

1107. technology advancements

Rant of the day: I am so looking forward to Friday... Haha...
After conducting numerous workshops for the public, it sometimes saddens me when you literally see the fear in people when technology advances at the speed of light. Coming to my third year conducting workshops, I'd seen aunties and uncles trying so hard to understand how to use the mouse, where to click to minimise the screen or even where is start button.

I'm listening to complains almost every lessons that some attendees are IT illiterate. I really sympathise with them but honestly, I can only help this much. While we put the blame on them that they are not making enough efforts to adapt, think it this way... one day, we will be in their shoes really.

Now that my mum got herself a laptop, I'm feeling even more of these. Literally everyday, my mum will come up with questions and questions for things like how to copy the images from the digital camera to her thumb drive, where to view photos that were copied out and even how to use MSN!

Sooner or later, she will want me to teach her how to create PowerPoint presentation slides... But first, still on the basics of transferring files to and fro an external device.

But at least, my mum is not that bad. She knows what is Youtube.com and Tudou.com! And even more amazing, she managed to locate where to watch those Taiwan variety shows in Tudou.com!!! Steady pom pi pi ok... Haha...

At the speed of all these technology advancements, we (as in our generation) might find it hard to catch up one day. Probably talking directly to the PC to get words being typed out automatically? Snapping the fingers to change the TV channels? Or just by mere thoughts to navigate the mobile phones?!?!? Scary... I hope I will not find myself not knowing how to switch on my TV in the future.

So while we can start to worry for ourselves, perhaps I shall continue to teach my mum on how to use her laptop (or at least how to surf the Net). Facebook for her? Maybe...

No comments: