Monday, February 08, 2010

1033. slapped by reality

Rant of the day: Hate how humid the weather is recently... HOT AH!!!
While everyone (most people) are in the mood for the coming festive season, saw something that pretty much saddens me. After sending dear home, I was at the usual bus stop, waiting for the usual bus. It was after a while when I heard rattling sounds coming from the rubbish bin. As I turned back, saw a really really old ah pek rummaging through the bin for something.

He wasn't badly dressed (but I'm not sure about the smell though) and his hair was neatly combed to the side. What shocked me was he dug out a small plastic bag with unfinished bread and wanted to keep aside! Next, he found a can of unfinished Pokka Green Tea and started drinking! Felt satisfied, he flattened the can and put it into a small plastic bag.

I wasn't the only one looking. In fact, everyone at the bus stop were watching with disbelieve.

When I was reaching home in a couple of stops, I saw another really old ah pek with tattered and torn singlet, pulling a huge translucent garbage bag filled with drink cans! Time on my watch was almost 12 midnight!!!

Very disheartening isn't it? Chinese New Year is just around the corner and yet, there are peeps like them gonig through hardships that we can't imagine. Most of us are now trying hard not to spend too much while these people are trying hard to have enough just to fill their stomach!

Societal divide... Social divide... Financial gap... Society class distribution... Whatever you call it is now slapping right into my face! While the gahmen says "no Singaporean goes hungry" (somewhere along that line lah), I beg to differ. I think it's not exactly an achievable target, not at least in the next 5 to 10 years. The reality is staring right in front of us.

*sigh*

Aye... Get to sleep. Ain't feeling that good suddenly. Had been sneezing for the past few days.

No comments: