Sunday, June 22, 2008

652. jittery

Joke of the day: A man checked into a hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an e-mail to his wife. However, he accidentally typed a wrong e-mail address, and without realizing his error, he sent the e-mail. Meanwhile....Somewhere in Houston, a widow had just returned from her husband's funeral. The widow decided to check her e-mail, expecting condolence messages from relatives and friends.

After reading the first message, she fainted. The widow's son rushed into the room, found his mother on the floor, and saw the computer screen which read:

To: My Loving Wife
Subject: I've Reached
Date: 16 May 2004

I know you're surprised to hear from me. They gave computers here, and we are allowed to send e-mails to loved ones. I've just reached and have been checked in.

I see that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing you TOMORROW!

Results for the magazine module is out. Again, another happy and sad result. Whatever it is, next module starts on Monday.

It's gonna be a busy day for everyone on Monday. Press release was out on Friday... News splashed on TV... Get ready for a busy hotline starting from Monday onwards. I guess the influx in emails will prolly start to kill the in-charge slowly.

Everyone in office is a lil jittery. Tuberculosis (TB)... HFMD... Press release... Unfinished work... Health screening... More unfinished work... The feeling of uneasiness sets in especially when the staff nurse from Tuberculosis Control Unit came down to our workplace to inspect the area and to determine if everyone is required to go for a TB screening.

I went and will know my results on Monday. I have to take it anyway. Been coughing for past 1 month but no traces of blood though. Occasionally, there are phlegm "stuck" at my throat area. Moreover, I work closely with the found infected colleague, which puts me in high risk. Warned my family and dear to monitor their own health. But I had been putting on weight and not losing them though. Haha...

But perhaps just an extra knowledge to all. TB is an air-borne disease but through water vapour. It can be controlled and cured just by medication. If your immune system is weak, you might get infected easily but you might be a carrier yourself without knowing it as it can stay in it's latent state for many many years. When it's in latent state, it is NOT contagious. The latent TB bacteria can be killed by medication easily.

Since it's air-borne and I didn't take my BCG jab during primary and secondary level, think it will be good that I go for the test. I might just get it but not from the infected colleague and rather, by anyone on the street or malls. It's just a precaution and also another normal medical checkup for me.

But if you feel that you need to go for the screening because you are quite close to me, go ahead just to play safe. The Tuberculosis Control Unit is somewhere near National Skin Centre. Closest MRT is Novena Station.

No comments: